18 – Charles Manson: Sex, Murder, and Helter Skelter

January 16, 2017

In 1969 Charles Manson convinced Tex Watson and several young women to brutally murder seven innocent people in Los Angeles, including rising star/model Sharon Tate. Why did he do it and how did he become the crazy guy we see now with a swastika on his forehead talking nonsense in prison? How could this obvious maniac convince anyone into giving him a ride down the street let alone into murdering on his behalf? Find out all this and more in my favorite Timesuck so far!

Pictures are: young Kathleen Maddox, Manson’s mom (top left), Tex Watson in 1970 (top, second from left), young Squeaky Fromme in 1967 (top row from top, second from right), actress/murder victim Sharon Tate ( top row, right), recent prison photo of Manson (second row from top, left), the Manson Family girls in court, 1970 (second row, middle), Charles Manson in 1969 (second row , right), stab happy Leslie Van Houten in 1969 and in 2016 (bottom row, left), recent photo of Manson’s girlfriend, Elaine “Star” Burton (bottom row, middle), 14 year old Charles Manson at Father Flannigan’s Boy’s Town (bottom row, right) in 1949.

1. Ben Sestak says:

Thank you for doing all the research, I like you was also interested with Manson. I really liked your standup and I love the face that you are making a podcast with these topics. keep up the good work!

Thanks Ben! I’m having a lot of fun doing these. Happy people are liking them!

1. Motomitchell says:

Hey dan you are the best I really enjoy your comedy and your pod cast keep on suckin

Yes! Thanks Mitchell. Glad you liked it. Keep on suckin

2. Tristan Williams says:

Hey dan, i am a huge fan of your stuff, your a amazing comedian( all time best one in my own opinion) and hope you come back to salt-lake area so that i can see one of your shows.When i found out you have a podcast i was ecstatic, and you lived up to all my expectations! i love how you try to stay as factual as possible, yet put your two sense in. and i noticed you go by admin in chat, is there anyway you could make it your real name?

i have a suggestion for timesuck, John c Lilly’s dolphins, or at least John c Lilly in general, why? Cause its a amazingly weird but interesting story, exactly what this podcast is about! i do admit i found this out when i learned of the inspiration for a video game called “Ecco the Dolphin” so you will see a lot of stuff about that. please check it out its a great story to cover.

holy crap i wrote allot, anyways hope you enjoy researching this!

Thanks so much Tristan! I appreciate all the super nice feedback. I’ll have to talk to my website creator about changing admin to “Dan” – that makes sense. Added John c Lilly to the list! Hope you can make it to a show when I head back to SLC.

3. William smith says:

Hey I work the 3rd shift as a security guard and your podcast is the only thing that keeps me up I’ve been a huge fan of your stand up and I’d like to see something Star Wars related maybe idk well you keep on keeping on

You’re the best Will! Thanks man. I appreciate it. I’ll add Star Wars to the list of future topics.

2. Q McCabe says:

I am currently sitting in the office, working security, at nearly 4 in the morning. Third shift. And this is what I listen to now. You aren’t alone.

Crazy dude, right?

4. charlie hess says:

no parent is perfect man and damn Manson has been through some shit thank you i have never herd of Charles Manson murders
    thanks for that

You bet Charlie! His childhood was pretty dysfunctional to say the least.

5. Crystal says:

Thank you so much for putting the time and effort in for these podcasts. I found you threw Pandora and Im therally enjoying it. Can’t wait for the flat earth theory podcast.

You’re welcome! Flat Earth is gonna be a fun one.

6. Aaron says:

Episode suggestion… fda vapor regulations. Why fda funded research studies disagree with royal college of physicians on the saftey of vapor products that could save millions of lives. Btw bitchen episode. The Father flanagan line made me laugh so hard

Thanks for the topic suggestion Aaron! And glad you liked the Manson ep. He’s had an insane life!

7. Matt says:

Time suck is the best part of my Mondays. I’ve been telling everyone I know to check it out! Thanks for all your hard work to bring us your awesome comedy/research!

Thank you so much Matt for getting the word out about Timesuck! So glad you like it man.

8. TaterSalad says:

Who starts a race war? M8 That would be Daniel Tosh!

Great episode thou!!

Haha. That’s true. That guy says some crazy shit for sure : ) Thanks man!

9. Carston says:

Hey Dan! You’re my favorite comedian to listen to and your advertising on Pandora is definitely doing its job since I’ve now been sucked into listening to Timesuck all the time. This is my new favorite thing to listen to whenever I have to make a long drive home from college. It’s fun learning a ton of information about a topic while being entertained at the same time, so keep up the good work! I also have a road trip coming up soon with some buddies to Las Vegas so keep the Timesuck episodes coming!

Thank you Carston! Such great feedback man. These kind of comments definitely help keep me excited about the podcast. Have fun on that road trip!

10. Shawn says:

Now that I know so much about Manson, I can impress all my friends with my trivial knowledge.

Haha. That’s part of the fun of this. Knowing more random shit than the people around us. I’m the king of useless knowledge in my house.

11. Kendra George says:

I love this! I love your standup and Chad Daniels is a friend of mine and he’s who actually suggested this podcast to me and I’m so glad I dove in. I’m officially a timesucker!! Thanks for being awesome.

Thank YOU Kendra! So glad you like it. I love Chad. Such a good dude and funny comic.

1. Kendra George says:

He really is. You and him are probably my favorite comedians of all time. But I really like to see this still funny, but different side of you. I just listened to the are we getting dumberest podcast and it was awesome that we have similar stances when it comes to parenting. I don’t want my 5 year old daughter to grow up being an entitled, unmotivated sack of shit and it’s just awesome to know someone out there feels the same way. Keep on keeping on.

12. Jason Maxwell says:

Love the podcast Dan! Great research man, personally never dove deep into this subject so it it was very informative. Man Manson was a crazy fuck but it’s so insane how he was able to manipulate seemingly normal people into commiting these bruatally evil acts. Love your stand up and found out about the podcast a couple days ago on your Pandora station and have been binge listening at work ever since. I have a suggestion for a topic that is fucking up America right now and thats the heroin epedemic sweeping the Nation killing so many people. I know alot of it comes from oxycontin users not affording meds and switching to chasing the dragon, I almost lost a buddy in Spokane because of this but hes all good now…Keep up the good work bro.

Thanks Jason! Great topic and sorry about your friend. That’s terrible man. Adding heroin to the list of topics for sure! Hope you keep enjoying the podcast!

13. Ari says:

Great job, Dan! The ‘Dan Cummins’ pandora station brought me here. Been a fan since the slow stroke bit.

Have you ever heard of the smiley face killers? I think that would be something to peak your interest. Maybe even do a Timesuck on.

Take care and good job on this episode!

Thanks Ari! Glad you like both the standup and the podcast. Thanks for listening to both! Adding Smiley Face Killers to the topic list. Never heard of them. They sound terrifying and interesting. Perfect!

14. Marc Cardenas says:

First of all i love these podcasts they are just fantastic. Mayne do one on pastafaterians no clue if i spelled that right but their made up religion is just hilarious anyway keep up the great work

Thanks Marc!! I really appreciate the topic suggestion – adding it to the list! Love weird stuff like that.

15. Mike Aldrich says:

Man, I just recently discovered your comedy through Pandora and then found this podcast and it is truly awesome. Great work man. Love how you combine fascinating history with hilarious comedy regarding some of the most fucked up shit. I think it would be really interesting if you did an episode on the serial killer BTK (Bind Torture Kill) Dennir Rader. Dude was a monster while leading a double life as a boyscout leading, church going superdad. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mike! So glad you like the standup and the podcast. I will look up Dennis Rader for sure. Adding that to the list of future episodes.

16. Victoria says:

So this is my second podcast that I’ve listened to and I love it. I have listened to your standup for quite awhile and always tell people about you and will openly admit I have quoted you several times from my favorite bits, but you have now combined your witty humor with this fact podcast which I absolutely love! My friends and family always call me “Cliff Clavin” so learning these facts and listening to your podcast has been so much fun! I’ve already told a few friends and they have been listening to previous podcasts!
    Keep up the good work!
    Can’t wait for more timesuck!!
    Hugs from Georgia !

Thank you so much Victoria!! What a nice comment. I really appreciate it. So glad you like it!!

17. Justin Addington says:

Where to start… just like a lot of other listeners I found it about your podcast through your Pandora ad and definitely not dissapointed. Love the random facts and the way that you find the humor in most any subject. I’ve been listening to your podcast for about 2 weeks now and I’m starting to run out. Hopefully you’ll get some more rating and I’ll have some more bonus episodes to listen to. Keep the stand up coming. Please come somewhere close to Panama City, FL. By the way, I love that you reply to all your comments it seems. It’s kinda like talking to your favorite celebrity. Sorry to ramble. Justin from Panama city Florida.

Thanks Justin from Panama City! I appreciate all the kind words. I’m glad so many have chosen to come over from Pandora. I’ll be in Tampa and Orlando later this year – hope you can make it to a show one day.

18. Tyler Shook says:

THAT’S MANSON’S CURRENT GIRLFRIEND!!!

And I’m still single…. smh
    I should be more charismatic….

Also I started listing late but I’ve been catching up and I love the podcasts Mr. Cummins! Your an influence to me and I love to hear what you have to say, thanks for doing the research and spilling the factual beans on fun interesting topics, such as a murderious hippy cult.

– thanks again