24 – Wild West Legend Billy the Kid

February 27, 2017

William Bonney aka Billy the Kid killed several men while still a teenager and shot his way out of a New Mexico jail when he was 21. He shot a man for insulting him,  gunned down another in a saloon, and was shot dead himself before reaching his 22nd birthday. He stole cattle and killed a sheriff and several deputies. But was he really a bad guy? Or just a product of circumstance and the time he lived in? Find out in this wild west edition of Timesuck! www.theveteransmc.com

Billy the Kid at 18

Billy the kid (age ?) Only 100% verified photo

Billy the Kid and others on John Tunstall’s ranch?

Lincoln County Courthouse Billy escaped from.

John Tunstall.

Sheriff Pat “Big Casino” Garrett.

Geronimo (far right) and other Apaches.

“The House”

(L to R) James Dolan, Emil Fritz, Major Murphy, W.J. Marin.

1. Pete Sciarrino says:

Great episode today Dan! And I think it’s really cool that you turned down a sponser that didn’t line up with your beliefs. It’s cool to see this podcast build up with new timesuckers! I bet soon this will be the biggest podcast on iTunes.

2. Jason Allen says:

I was born in Arizona down near tombstone, Arizona, but I grew up in the tiny town of Carlsbad, New Mexico. When I was 10, I had to do a report over something local. Well I choose Billy the Kid, my dad and I found alot of similar stuff you covered in this amazing podcast but you found so much more than we ever did, probably having the internet made your research abilities much easier, 1994 internet didn’t exist. So using that good old Dewey decimal system we researched what our library had. Anyways, as an adult I was an executive chef in Carlsbad at what is now a hotel, but it used to be the First National Bank Building of Eddy, which is a building that in a round about way Pat Garret helped establish. Just thought I’d share since you hit pretty close to home for me. I love all your podcasts, especially the one I listened to this morning about the evil empire Hell-mart. That was my favorite so far until you hit me with this nugget. Keep up the good work and we need to pay Kurt Russell to knock on one of those doors of the Walton trust funders and tell them to pay their ppl better or hell is coming for them. Haha. Not the direct quote from the movie but enough. Best movie all time. End rant. Thanks for the hard work.

Cool Jason. You grew up around so much interesting history. I like your plan to send Wyatt Earp after the Waltons – ha! Thanks for listening.

3. JDMK1DD Alex says:

Oh my fuck… million things youd see… slow stroke for free. Lmao

4. JDMK1DD Alex says:

Cant wait to see you in fl… have quite alot of intelectual comedy discussion… im attepting my comedy career… not sure orlando likes me yet.. lol keep it up dan.. pod casts are awesome

Thank you Alex! Glad you like the podcast. Good luck out there in Orlando!

Not related to this podcast topic, more of a thing for you. Why, o why are you not setup with a PATREON account?? I don’t want to post URL links in your board here, but if you don’t know what Patreon is, please quickly look it up (google, Bing, Alta-Vista, whatever), and enroll yourself. I can honestly say you’re an artist that genuinely is who the service was intended for.

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been thinking about it. I’m gonna start with a Paypal donation button for people who want to help the show. I’d like to maybe set up my own version of a Patreon website and offer bonus content for those willing to subscribe. Right now I just want to keep making the show better. I really appreciate the suggestion!

6. John Dooley says:

Gosh this was so good!

YES!!! LOVE hearing that. Thank you!

7. Mike "Popsy" Aldrich says:

Awesome episode! Always wanted to know more about Billy the Kid and found this absolutely fascinating and entertaining. Think it’s dope that you can give a big fuck you to corporate sponsors. That kind of shit really makes me respect you as an artist and person. Also, I was cracking up when you were taking about “sad boners” and it reminded of the show The League. They have an episode in which they talk about “fear boners” that is hilarious. Keep on keeping on man.

Thanks Mike! Hopefully I will find some companies I respect to sponsor the show later. It sure as shit won’t be Walmart. Keep your boner happy.

8. Justin says:

Love the Tombstone quotes haha this was a wonderful episode! I’m a long time fan of your comedy and your personality, excited to see your future content. Billy seemed to be a true ‘Old West’ badass. Thanks for all the knowledge!
    (Fuck going back in time to the old west)

Haha. Thanks Justin! So glad you like the podcast. I’m having a lot of fun with it and really enjoying learning about all this random stuff.

9. Brian Clark says:

DANNNN, I just finished every time suck episode today and I’m patiently waiting for the Hitler third Reich episode. I shouldn’t say patiently because I’ve been checking every hour to see if it’s on. I’m highly addicted to this , And I need my fix.

Haha. Thanks Brian! The Rise of the Third Reich episode is coming out Friday, March 10th. HH Holmes is this Monday. Thanks for listening.

10. David Jessup says:

Great episode as always. So glad for the 5 takeaways on this one. I’m always blown away by people that reach such notoriety in such a short period of time.

Thanks David! He lived a lot of life in his last four or five years for sure.

11. Casey says:

Kill me, I now have “Wild, Wild West” stuck in my head. The movie only made it that much worse. *evil glares Dan*

Haha! Yeah. Sorry about that. 🙂

12. Kerri Lynn says:

In reference to your Eagle voice.. In my mind an Eagle sounds very patriotic, but more metro than uncle Sam, not flamboyant but as if he keeps all his body hair trimmed.