1 HOUR 6 MINUTES

25 – Serial Killer H.H. Holmes and his Murder Castle

March 06, 2017

Who has a murder castle!?! 19th century serial killer H.H. Holmes, that’s who. Dubbed “America’s first serial killer”, Holmes’ terrorized Chicago during the 1893 World’s Fair, killing an estimated 200 women in his literal house of horror. Trap doors, a gas chamber, and a cellar full of torture devices awaited young women tricked into staying in Holmes’ evil lair. A truly terrifying edition of Timesuck!

Also – link to that great Flat Earth imgur gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/NTwgV

H.H. Holmes

Young H.H. Holmes

Chicago’s 1893 World’s Fair

World’s first Ferris wheel

The “Murder Castle”

The Murder Castle Layout

1. Sarah Gage says:

Hey Dan,

I’m about 18 minutes into this podcast, and so far, it is fantastic!

It sounds like you are as fascinated by Serial Killers as I am, so I have a suggestion for you if you haven’t seen it yet..

There is a DVD called “America’s Serial Killers: Portraits in Evil.” This has information for 10 Serial Killers including John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey, Dahmer, and many more.

I highly recommend it.

Anyway, I’m really loving these podcasts, and I look forward to it every Monday.

Thanks for the fun!

Thanks Sarah. I’ll have to check that out. They are darkly fascinating. Scary how they can be so similar to the rest of us, yet so very, very different regarding what they’re able and willing to do. Real life monsters!

2. Kasey Frank says:

Super excited about this one!

YES! Hope it lives up to expectations.

3. Dakota says:

OMG!!!! i was wondering about how long after you did the charlie manson podcast, you would do one on this deranged individual.
    Super excited to listen to it, big big fan of your comedy, and now this ear joy 🙂 thanks for all the awsomeness!!!

Thank you Dakota! I’m so glad you enjoy the podcast. I’m having a blast with it!

4. Dylan Starcher says:

H. H. Holmes is such a fascinating case. Can’t wait to listen to this episode. Keep up the good work!

Thank you Dylan!

5. Jason Allen says:

Simply Amazing. Great job! Your podcasts are amazing and you are certainly improving them as you go.

That is great to hear Jason! I’m really working on making them better. Taking a break from touring for a bit in April and want to really focus on Timesuck. I love it. Thank you!

6. Dornell Hurd says:

Shit shit shit you are the best number one of my podcast…Keep it up big fan of your comedy as well

Damn Dornell! Thank you so much for the great comment. I’ll try my best to keep good content coming your way. Appreciate you writing in!

7. Megan Haake says:

I would LOVE to watch a movie about this directed by Martin Scorsese! Great Podcast…thanks for the effort put into my enjoyment.

Thanks Megan. Me too! I don’t think they’ve started production yet but it looks like it will happen. Fingers crossed!

I have a new fancy pants word for you to work into the next podcast…if you can:

Truckle: (Verb) To submit or yield obsequiously or tamely; put up little to no resistance.

That’s a great word – thank you! I’ve never heard that one before. I’ll put it on a new Fancy pants word list.

9. David Jessup says:

I think Murder Castle is a better title than Devil in the White City. I think the Bloody Bender’s are actually known as America’s first serial killers but I think they did it more for financial gain and less for the joy that H3 obviously got from his exploits. As always great work and thanks so much for the time and effort you spend on these fascinating subjects.

10. Casey says:

Based on #lurknation, you could definitely play the creepy henchman. Another excellent, entertaining and educational episode.

Haha! Yes – #lurknation – that was too much fun. You’re the best Casey.

11. Caden Gates says:

I would love to watch that movie and think you would make a great henchmen (henchman? ) thanks for the episode loved it

Haha. Thanks Caden. Creepy henchman would be a sweet role!

12. Kelley A says:

Oh my goodness, I’ve had that Michael McDonald song stuck in my head for a whole week because you keep singing it! AHHH!! haha!

Haha! I keep forgetting I’m not in love any more! You’re welcome.

13. Kerri Lynn says:

the lights just flickered in my office while listening to this and it made me jump, hahaa……