30 – Caligula: Rome’s Monstrous Son

April 10, 2017

Special guest episode! The hosts of the wildly¬†entertaining Crime and Sports and Small Town Murder podcasts,¬†James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman, ride along for today’s suck on ancient Rome and one of the tyrants it created, Caligula. Was Caligula a debaucherous madman? Or, just product of the times he lived in? Was he both? Find out for yourself on the most torturous, sex-crazed, over-the-top Timesuck yet. And PLEASE, help keep Timesuck keep going by filling one a 30 second survey at http://podsurvey.com/TIMESUCK

Augustus, 1st Emperor of Rome

Roman aqueduct built during Caligula’s reign

Tiberius, 2nd Emperor of Rome

Caligula, 3rd Emperor of Rome

Assassination of Caligula

Claudius, 4th Emperor of Rome

Germanicus, Caligula’s father

Egyptian obelisk brought to Rome during the reign of Caligula

1. Josh (whatever) says:

Wow! What great timing. I was just talking about Caligula last week. Huge discussion on all the acts he did and rumors surrounding his life. I’m stoked to have my time sucked this week. I’ll end up sending a real email sometime soon. Love your standup, love your podcast, probably love you as a person too. (Is that weird? Probably, but fuck it)
    Thank you so much for taking your time every week. I’m getting the word out like crazy.

Thank you Josh! What a great message. I so appreciate you getting the word out. That’s a huge help!

2. Richard T Roberts says:

Hello Master Sucker!! I have a TimeSucker update for you. From everything that I have been reading Ancient Greece did come before Ancient Rome. Ancient Greece started around 1100 BC where as Ancient Rome didn’t start until 146 BC.

Thank you for the update Richard! It’ll be in Monday’s episode.

Survey completed. I still think you should set up a patreon account instead. BTW, Q.7 of the survey is very odd. Keep on Suckin’, Master Sucker!

Thanks Nemo! I thought about Patreon for a second but I’d rather have some companies pay for the suck than the listeners. I really want to keep it free and at the same time know I can make some money on it.

4. Griffin Korbel says:

Hey Dan
    I really think that you should give us a good suck on the Mandela effect and conspiracys that come along with it. Keep up the sucking master sucker! looking forward to more episodes!!

Done! Mandela Effect coming on Monday!

5. Luke Ewertz says:

Found this podcast through your advertisement on Pandora. Thought I’d let you know that those ads are working!

Thanks Luke! Good to know!

6. Kristy says:

… Maybe you should limit the guests that you have on. I love, love, LOVE your regular podcasts but this one was extremely hard to concentrate on what was going on with so many people chiming in the whole time.

I get it. It’s not going to be regular thing at all. Only a few times a year to shake things up. Thanks for letting me know Kristy!

1. derrick says:

i agree that having guests on the show works better if it’s not a regular thing, but i think that ultimately it works as long as there is good comedic chemistry between you and the guest(s). in this particular case, i think it worked wonderfully. the fact that the guests also host their own podcast(s) and have experience in that realm was also helpful for creating a smooth episode. i enjoyed this one a lot!

Thanks Derrick! I appreciate the positive feedback on the Caligula episode.

7. Aubree says:

So grateful for Timesuck! It keeps me sane and satisfies my hunger for history and random knowledge. I love your comedy and love that you put so much time and effort into this podcast… keep it up!

Thank you Aubree! Great comments and feedback keep me going!

8. Jason Allen says:

Podcast survey completed. If isn’t your damn timesuck podcast sucking my time its these damn survey’s. Just kidding. But on topic, those guys are perfect guests, you all three mesh well. You should have them back on at some point, if you choose to have guests again. I also just finished listening to you as a guest on their podcast about Trevor Berbick, that fucking waste of talent. You definitely have a talent for radio/podcasting, if you choose to stop touring as a great comedian. Thanks for all the entertainment and very soon i shall be enjoying one of your muskrat labia shirts, I don’t care if Caligula penetetrared that muskrat first. Side question or note, did you come across the other ridiculous sexual exploits during your research, so other than providing sweet lovin’ to lil boys, the Romans also loved to include bestiality into their orgies and depravity. So feed a slave to a lion while humping an aligator. That’s probably why he didn’t want to hear the screams.

Thanks for all the nice feedback Jason! And thanks for filling out that survey. And yeah, I did come across other examples of sexual depravity and other torture examples. Just didn’t want to be redundant. Sexually speaking, when it came to having sex with slaves – anything went. You could do literally anything to a slave of any age with little or no legal or social repercussions. And yeah, sounds like animals got fucked more often back then too. At various points in Roman history, they had very moral boundaries.

9. Les Mcnair says:

Hey again. Commented way back on Episode 1. You cover alot of my favorite personal subjects. History and life can be weird and interesting to the point where life is its own source of entertainment. However morbid things may be! I don’t normally make requests but my favorite weird person in history was Grigori Rasputin. I’d love to hear an episode on him if you get the time. With all your fans I’m sure you have tons of requests but I think you might find him interesting. Thanks again.

1. Les Mcnair says:

Whoops episode 2.

Cool. Thanks Les! I get Rasputin mentioned a lot. I’m gonna have to add him into the mix! Glad you like the random topics covered so far.

10. Megan says:

Alright master sucker! Survey done! Huge fan of your podcast.

Thank you Megan!! I appreciate that so much.

11. Lane Henderson says:

Love this weeks episode! I’ve always been fascinated with Roman history.

Thank you Lane!

12. John Dooley says:

really love this podcast/show, I hope you have more guests in the future!

13. Bianca Storm says:

“All that rape’ll kill ya after a while…” – best quote from this podcast – Caligula is such an intriguing guy to research. I am a little obsessed by him and I thank you for this podcast. It sucked the big one and I enjoyed every minute of it.

So glad you enjoyed it Bianca! Can’t imagine what life was like for those Roman senators having to take orders from a complete madman.

14. D says:

Love this episode..romans were scary people!so much that modern Greeks disassociate with them…. Nero was even worse if possible geez

Gotta look into Nero. He may be a future suck. Thank you!

15. Kerri Lynn says:

I could be incorrect, but I think I remember reading at an art exhibit once that adopting or taking in the children of someone you had killed (i.e. enemies) was seen as not only as a pious gesture, but a gesture which was respected by the Gods. To leave the children to die after killing their parents was to be irreversibly damned. I can’t remember which exhibit I had read this at, but I do remember reading that about Roman and Greek history.