42 – Martin Luther King, Jr.: Life, Legacy and Assassination Conspiracy

July 03, 2017

How much do you really know about Martin Luther King, Jr.? Did you know he was so committed to nonviolence that he refused to even defend himself from a white supremacist that once attacked him on stage? That he urged angry neighbors to stay calm after someone bombed HIS house? Did you know a government investigative committee determined that his assassination was likely a part of a conspiracy? A verdict a civil court also later confirmed. Find out all this and more in the longest, deepest  Timesuck yet!

Today’s Timesuck is brought to you by Dollar Shave Club. Go to www.dollarshaveclub.com/timesuck today and get their badass Executive razor handle, four stainless steel, six blade cartridges and a tube of Dr. Carver’s Shave Butter sent to your door for only 5 bucks! Best razor you’ll ever use Timesuckers!

Izola Curry – aggressive letter opener wielder

MLK, Jr.  trying not to sneeze

James Early Ray – part of a conspiracy or lone killer?

MLK, Jr.  and Coretta

MLK, Jr. and his family

MLK, Jr. after his “I Have a Dream” speech in D.C.

1. Ben says:

Fun fact, the state of Pennsylvania doesn’t have a ticket for exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph, it starts at 6 mph. Also, I believe you are pronouncing Miguel’s name wrong.

1. Miguel Martinez says:

Yeah, he did but I just figured he was trying to segue into the next Timesucker Update where he talked about mispronouncing stuff. 😜 Not a big deal…I’ve been getting Mig-WELL and MY-gwell all my life so I’m pretty used to it. I just was happy to be part of a Timesucker Update. Hail Nimrod!!! 😂

2. Dickcheese says:

The lady that said not to use pussy as an insult in the mlk episode used Dick as an insult if what you read was verbatim. Not trying to be a nitpicky ass but if you don’t want female genetalia to be used as an insult don’t use male genetalia as an insult.

3. Brian says:

Just saying when the update about using the word pussy with weakness she used the word dick to describe rudeness… Hypocrisy at its finest.

4. Casey Locke says:

Thanks for the shout out Dan. May you suck forever, my friend!

5. JP says:

I love that your fan, Jessica Sharp, asked you not to use pussy as a way to describe a weaker person because it’s a reference to female genitalia, but in the same sentence says it’s a dick move (male genitalia) to describe someone.
    That’s some funny suck.

1. Brittney says:

Agreed, quite ironic. Its just words master sucker, you’ve already said your podcast isn’t for the weak of heart, don’t censor yourself.

2. Nicholas Brewer Davis says:

I was about to make a similar comment myself so glad to see someone else was thinking something similar to what I was

3. AS says:

Exactly! If “pussy” associates weakness with the female gender, then does “dick” associated rudeness and assholery with the male gender? So much hypocrisy.

6. Leigh says:

Dan,
    To go back to the “pussy” reference that a PREVIOUS female fan wrote about, I think you should be able to use it!
    The term “pussy” harkens back to the 15th Century term: Pussilanimous:
    Showing a lack of courage or determination; timid.
    Synonyms: timid, timorous, cowardly, fearful, faint-hearted, lily-livered, spineless, craven, shrinking

Doing my own little Suck on the word, I found out that the Latin roots of this derisive adjective are “pusillus,” meaning “very small” (and related to pusus, meaning “boy”) and animus, which means “spirit” and is the ancestor to many words in our language, including “animal” and “animate.”
    This is one reason why we have the term “pussyfooting around.”

As an avid female fan AND a bibliophile, I recognize the word “pussy” has taken on a modern connotation that is often seen as negative, particularly in reference to female genitals, but HOW ABOUT WE USE A DIFFERENT TERM FOR GENITALS instead and let everyone use the word as it was intended grammatically and etymologically!

We are TimeSuckers! And we don’t let modern misconceptions get in the way of our knowledge!

7. Anthony says:

Okay, I normally would just let stuff like this go, but something you mispronounced literally (in the correct usage) made me laugh out loud.

You pronounced misled (miss-LED) as MAI-sild. Probably reading it off paper and it just looked weird at the moment. It happens. I had a government teacher in high school who had a brain fart and pronounce “obstacle” as awb-STACK-ell for an entire class period, until someone corrected her.

Keep up the suck, oh great and curious Suck Meister.

Anthony Thornton

8. Nicholas Brewer Davis says:

I live in a place where it is illegal to walk with ice cream in your back pocket but it’s also illegal to chop the head off of a giraffe and if you’re wondering what kind of batshit crazy place I live in its Alabama

1. Kasey Frank says:

I’ve read the one about ice cream in your back pocket. It originated because people would do that to lure horses away toi steal them. Ridiculous!

9. Kasey Frank says:

Alex Trebek needs his own pronunciation website…he is always over enunciating. But I’d rather hear some mispronounced words than listen to his kind of pretentiousness.

10. Julian Flores says:

I wanted to point that out as well about not saying pussy. Love the podcast but don’t become a hypocrite master sucker.